Creating a Rubric
A Rubric is a tool that lists evaluation criteria for an assignment. Rubrics can help instructors and TAs explain their evaluations to students. Rubrics can be viewed as a grading widget in Blogs, Journals, Wikis, and Discussion Boards. Instructors or TAs can also associate the Rubric to a grading column in the Grade Center and view the Rubric while assigning a grade. Instructors have the option to display Rubrics to students.
NB: This menu is an expandable and collapsible menu. If it is collapsed, click on the caret to the left of the menu item to expand the menu.
- Go to Control Panel. Click on Course Tools and select Rubrics.
- Click Create Rubrics.
- Enter a Name for the rubric.
- Enter a description of the rubric to make it easier to associate it to the assignment. The Rubric Grid includes Criteria (rows) and Levels of Achievement (columns). Edit the rubric grid to correspond to the type of feedback and scoring desired.
Note: There is a 1000 character limit for each cell.
- Click Add Row to add a new criterion at the bottom of the grid.
- Click Add Column to add a new criterion at the bottom of the grid.
- Click Edit from the contextual menu of the labels identifying rows and columns to change their names.
- Select a point range:
a. Select Show Points to enter a single point value for each Level of Achievement.
b. Or, select Show Point Range to enter a high and low value to create a point range for each Level of Achieve.
- Enter a point value or range of values for each cell.
- Rows (Criteria) and columns (Levels of Achievement) can be reordered by clicking the rendering icon.
- Click Submit