Create a Test
TESTS are created to check the knowledge and skill level of students enrolled in a Course. Instructors build their own test questions and assign specific point values to each question. When a Student completes a test, it is submitted for grading and the results are recorded in the GRADE CENTER. Tests can be added to any content area within a course. See the instructions below or watch the video walkthrough.
- Navigate to the content area where you would like students to access the test.
- Hover your mouse over the Create Assessment button and select Test.
Note: If you have already created a test please skip to Step 3.
- Click the Create button.
- This will bring you to the Test Information screen. Here, provide a name for your test, a description of the test and instructions on how to complete the test. The name you provide here will also be used as the name of the test column in Grade Center.
- Click Submit.
- Hover your mouse over the Create Question button. A list of 17 different question types will appear, click on your desired question type.
- This will bring you to the Create/Edit screen where you can input your question text, supply a list of correct responses, enter student feedback, as well as tag and categorize questions.
- When you have finished composing the question click Submit.
- The question you just created will appear in the Test Canvas. Here, you can verify the question text and responses, as well assign a point value, by entering a numeric value next to Points.
- Repeat these steps 6 through 9 until you have created all of your test questions.
- When you have finished click Ok, in the bottom right corner of the page.
- Highlight the test you just created by clicking on its name.
- Click Submit.
- On the next page, confirm the test name and description.
- Click Yes next to Make the Link Available to make the test available to students.
- If you're allowing multiple attempts use the Score Attempts Using drop-down menu to specify how each attempt be calculated into the final test mark.
- Last Graded Attempt will make the score achieved on the most recent the final mark;
- Highest Grade will use the highest grade acheived across all attempts as the final mark;
- Lowest Grade will use the lowest grade acheived across all attempts as the final mark;
- First Graded Attempt will use the score achieved on the first attempt as the final mark;
- Average of Graded Attempts will use the average grade for all attempts as the final mark;
- Specify any additional availability options.
- If desired, enter a due date.
- Tick the box beside Include Grade Center Score Calculations to add the results from this test to final mark calculation;
- Specify if and how test results and feedback will be communicated to students;
- Specify how questions will be presented:
- All at once: All questions appear at the same time;
- One at at time: Present one question at a time and specify if students are allowed to backtrack;
- Randomize questions: present test questions in a different order each time a student takes a test;
- Finish by clicking Submit.
Each question type requires you to input different kinds of information. For specific instructions regarding each individual question type please see the More Help link in the Create/Edit Screen.